This is still in the experimental phase. We will take this puppy out for field tests this weekend. We still have to work out the specs on the power plant. This electric motor needs 6 volts to operate at full capacity. And we have the option of cramming as much as 60 grams worth of battery into the nose of the Skyaak shaft. This weight would effectively replace the existing ballast. So it’s off to Battery Boys to see what they can do for us.
I anticipate that this will need a lot of tweaking to get it to work. We’ll probably need a more powerful motor and sourcing out batteries will likely take some doing. Nothing unusual there. Everything always takes three or four ( or many more) attempts before we get any progress. But hey, ya gotta start somewhere, and we’ll never know if we don’t try. We always learn a lot more through our great big messy failures than we do with modest success. In any event, we want to nudge our way closer to a rocket-powered launch. I designed the Skyaak in the first place with the idea in mind that it would use all standard dimensional materials whenever possible so that we could just plug in ‘off-the-shelf’ technology. So, for example, I have gone out and purchased model rocket-engines with motor-mounts that conform perfectly with the inside diameter of the Skyaak shaft. I discussed the launch with rocket-master Cam Tetrault recently and we are in the brainstorming mode.


Michael



No comments:
Post a Comment