
The Owl has long been regarded as a good luck omen and a symbol of wisdom.
Think the 'Owl-ish Professor'.
So I thought it would be highly appropriate if I was to paint a picture of this little fellow that dropped in for a three-day visit last spring. He's a Northern Saw Whet, measuring only about seven inches from head to foot. He is a tenacious little guy, though. He stood his ground on his perch outside our big picture window and fought off all comers, including some pesky blue-jays and even a magpie.
He posesd very compliantly for me to take quite a few wonderful close-up photos. I knew right then and there that he would make a great subject for a portrait.
Is it not also said that one's activities on and about the cusp of the New Year sort of casts the mold for the coming twelve months? With this in mind, I was only too happy to weave this painting into my schedule. I'm just so grateful that I have enough flexibility in my day to do something like this that is strictly creative. Very good for the soul.
This is a work in progress. I will pick away at finishing it over the next little while.



3 comments:
Hey Michael! I thought I left a comment on this one but obviously I didn't hit the 'submit' button. ;)
I really like how you did the eyes in this painting! They look really realistic... like the owl is peering deep into my soul and pondering it's contents.
I can't wait to see the finished version! :)
Hey Dylan. Zup? Thx 4 the pst.
TTYSoon, M
Hey hey hey...
D: stay posted for following forward...
Post a Comment